Re: PATCH: AbiWord Sugar mode

From: <msevior_at_physics.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Wed Jul 26 2006 - 04:14:49 CEST

> Hi all,
>
> This is a patch for the Sugar branch that starts abiword in a GtkPlug
> so it can be plugged into the Sugar shell, and then simplifies the
> interface significantly. Also attached is a necessary new file, which
> goes in src/wp/ap/xp.
>
> I'd appreciate feedback about whether I'm doing things in the right
> places, and also on whether I'm creating the diff properly.
>
> (it's a shockingly small amount of code, I know... but there was a lot
> to learn before I could even figure out which code to touch, let alone
> what to write.)

Hi Erik,
        Thanks for sending the patch and all this great work. I can see
that the previous code I'd written (no menu mode for
XAP_UnixFrame*) was a help in making this patch so small. So I'm
happy that the previous work on this could be re-used.

I have a few questions and suggestions.

How much room is left on the toolbar?

I think that having the font toolbar item would be useful. My observation
is that kids love to use fancy and large fonts if they can. It lets them
be creative. If you have space, giving them the font button will make that
easily discoverable. Has your research found out anything about this?

Also the rebuildMenu method is vital for loading many plugins. We'll need
to fix that later.

I'll see if I can get the sugar development SDK running and give your
patch a try. It looks rather unintrusive so we might be able to roll it
directly into CVS-HEAD.

Keep up the great work.

Martin