Re: PATCH: AbiWord Sugar mode

From: Robert Staudinger <robert.staudinger_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jul 26 2006 - 08:52:20 CEST

On 7/26/06, msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au
<msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:

> > Hi all,
> >
> > This is a patch for the Sugar branch that starts abiword in a GtkPlug
> > so it can be plugged into the Sugar shell, and then simplifies the
> > interface significantly. Also attached is a necessary new file, which
> > goes in src/wp/ap/xp.
> >
> > I'd appreciate feedback about whether I'm doing things in the right
> > places, and also on whether I'm creating the diff properly.
> >
> > (it's a shockingly small amount of code, I know... but there was a lot
> > to learn before I could even figure out which code to touch, let alone
> > what to write.)
> >

> Hi Erik,
> Thanks for sending the patch and all this great work. I can see
> that the previous code I'd written (no menu mode for
> XAP_UnixFrame*) was a help in making this patch so small. So I'm
> happy that the previous work on this could be re-used.
>
> I have a few questions and suggestions.
>
> How much room is left on the toolbar?
>
> I think that having the font toolbar item would be useful. My observation
> is that kids love to use fancy and large fonts if they can. It lets them
> be creative. If you have space, giving them the font button will make that
> easily discoverable. Has your research found out anything about this?
>
> Also the rebuildMenu method is vital for loading many plugins. We'll need
> to fix that later.
>
> I'll see if I can get the sugar development SDK running and give your
> patch a try. It looks rather unintrusive so we might be able to roll it
> directly into CVS-HEAD.

Hi Martin,

we've been discussing whether the sugar port could reuse the
XP_SIMPLE_TOOLBAR capability to further simplify the patch and keep
some more sugar specific code out of the core app. Please hold folding
the patch into HEAD for now (it can of course go into the sugar
branch).
Having the sugar env up and running myself now I'm looking forward to
give it a spin.

Erik: We also need an AbiWord-embedding solution that doesn't involve
hardcoded window IDs, as you pointed out.
As a quick hack AbiWord could write the plug ID to a file e.g.
/var/run/abiword/wid which is read by the socket managing code.

Cheers,
Rob