Re: Summer of Code Hello

From: Jauco Noordzij <jauco.noordzij_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon May 29 2006 - 09:22:16 CEST

> > > I wrote this mail a few days ago but, due to me arguing with major
> > > domo about what constitutes a proper e-mail message, It hasn't arrived
> > > until now.
>
> I regularly wish someone would write a virus which could disable HTML
> email in any machine it infects.
>
> > Sorry, harsh spam measures :)
>
> I've gotten Gigabytes of spam and viruses, no apologies for the harsh
> filters I thank the webmaster (Hub?) for setting them up.

The HTML mail is ok, but if I send mail and say in gmail "from:
spam@jauco.nl" instead of from "jauco.noordzij@gmail.com" (one of my
antispam measures, this list gets archived) The message silently
disappears. (probably because changing the from: is a frequent spam
technique as well)

> > > Today I have received the official confirmation that I am accepted for
> > > this years summer of code. I had already received word from dom (who
> > > will be my mentor) and he explained that there is a lot of
> > > communication through the list and irc.
> >
> > irc is definitly the place to be!
> >
> > > The next couple of months I will be working on a pdf import plugin
> > > that will import both the text, the formatting and the structure, like
> > > headings and columns, into abiword.
>
> > > I am really, really excited about this, as it's a project that has been
> > > slumbering in my head for quite some time now (think years).
> >
> > We were thinking the same, but no-one felt like trying to implement
> > it :D
>
> Didn't Dom start something like this already? (Basic text import from PDF
> as I recall.) Since he was mentoring I assumed this project was to expand
> on his existing work.

Yeah, it sort of is. But the current plugin simply calls poppler to
export the pdf as a temp text file and then loads it using ie_imp_text
so I don't think there will be much left of it.

Marc, about the blog adding thing: I'd be honoured :)

--
groeten,
     Jauco Noordzij