Re: FYI: AbiWord included with a Magazine/CD

From: Dominic Lachowicz <domlachowicz_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Nov 01 2006 - 17:05:16 CET

On 11/1/06, John T. Haller <abiword@johnhaller.com> wrote:

> Alan Horkan wrote:
> >
> > Umm that was confusing.
> >
> > Would I be correct in assuming the following message was forwarded by Dom
> > to let us know Abiword has been included in their publication.
> >
> > Do we need to respond and tell them the GNU General Public License (GPL)
> > already gives them the permission they need to include Abiword with their
> > magazine? (Chances are you did that already but it wasn't entirely clear
> > from the message.)
> >

> I'm quite sure that was Dom passing on good news that AbiWord is getting
> some more attention worldwide. Hence the FYI-. That's why I
> responded with some other magazine bundling info.

That's correct, John, and thanks for your follow-up.

I've already told these guys that they're allowed to distribute
AbiWord under the terms and conditions of the GPL, and summarized what
those TOCs are.

You have to understand that these are probably Windows people who are
used to distributing "freeware" (as you saw in my FWD), whose licenses
do not take such a liberal attitude toward redistribution as the GPL
does.

Best,

"I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our
children's children, because I don't think children should be having
sex." -Jack Handy