Re: FYI: AbiWord included with a Magazine/CD

From: John T. Haller <abiword_at_johnhaller.com>
Date: Wed Nov 01 2006 - 17:22:51 CET

Dominic Lachowicz wrote:

> That's correct, John, and thanks for your follow-up.
>
> I've already told these guys that they're allowed to distribute
> AbiWord under the terms and conditions of the GPL, and summarized what
> those TOCs are.
>
> You have to understand that these are probably Windows people who are
> used to distributing "freeware" (as you saw in my FWD), whose licenses
> do not take such a liberal attitude toward redistribution as the GPL
> does.

Sure thing, Dom.

I get this question a *LOT* as well for the apps distributed by
PortableApps.com... despite the fact that they're all under the GPL,
MPL, BSD or a combination. Most magazines are used to freeware, not
Free software. Some have even told me that they have to ask for every
program, even if it's GPLed, for every release because their lawyers
told them to. I compiled a simple response and stuck it in Thunderbird
within the QuickText extension. So, with about 3 clicks, I can respond
to these inquiries with full details.

Regards,
John