Unix printing fix, plus a call for help

From: Dominic Lachowicz <domlachowicz_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Nov 22 2006 - 13:15:44 CET

I just committed a patch that makes Abi use GnomePrint for printing on
the command line. That is,

AbiWord --print PrinterName file.doc

will print to PrinterName via GnomePrint instead of our PSGraphics
class. This should fix a host of bugs. Like on Win32, "-" is the magic
name for the default printer.

Now, my printer doesn't have any ink at the moment, so I can't fully
test this. Everything seemed to go OK - LPR warned me that there was
no default printer, which I think that is a good sign. If someone
could test this and let me know the results, I'd appreciate it.

"Regressions":
The syntax and semantics of --print on Unix have changed. No longer do
you need to specify "|lpr -Pwhatever" to print to the printer named
"whatever". Printing via an external print command like kprinter no
longer works. I view this as a feature, albeit one that needs serious
documenting.

You can no longer print to a PS file via --print. But that's why I
added --to=ps the other day, so that you can get the same semantics.

Improvements:
All the improvements of GnomePrint over our PSGraphics class. No more
discrepancies between File->Print and --print. Better Unicode support.
Support for alpha channels. Better font support. Etc. Once the
PSGraphics class is removed, Abi will be slightly smaller in Tomas'
ultra-slim build.

TODO:
cvs rm the PSGraphics class once I get confirmation that this patch works.

Best,

"I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our
children's children, because I don't think children should be having
sex." -Jack Handy