Re: GSoC07: keep dialogs in libabiword?

From: Martin Sevior <msevior_at_physics.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Fri Apr 27 2007 - 06:50:02 CEST

On Fri, 2007-04-27 at 05:53 +0200, Teus Benschop wrote:
> Dominic Lachowicz wrote:
> >
> >> embedded tweaks to get everything right. A dialog-less libabiword will
> >> force every consumer application to reinvent all the tweaks for
> >> FileSaveOpen plus every other dialog of interest.
> >
> > That assumes that our consumers want the tweaks in the first place,
> > which I think is a bit presumptuous. But perhaps not much moreso than
> > thinking that they wouldn't want them.
>
> Being one of your customers as well as planning to write code for
> libabiword, our planning is to integrate libabiword into Bibledit
> (bibledit.sourceforge.net), an editor so different from a normal word
> processor, that we indeed have made all dialogs of our own, and I have
> disabled some keybindings on libabiword so that for example the font
> dialog does not display, the save dialog does not display, and so on.
> Hope that this real-world scenario helps you in making decisions.

HI everyone,
            Thanks for presenting your interesting views. I can see Dom,
Rob's and Tues arguments for a plain Rich Text Editor. I can also
understand the arguments for an interface as close as possible to
vanilla Gtk.

I can also easily imagine situations where a consumer may well want
additional features currently in AbiWord. My own tentative plans for a
presentation application included.

Just to clear up a potential misunderstanding, with the current
loadbindings plugin, any key binding not explicitly defined results in
no action.

Best regards

Martin