Re: GSoC07: keep dialogs in libabiword?

From: Ryan Pavlik <abiryan_at_ryand.net>
Date: Fri Apr 27 2007 - 16:49:46 CEST

I agree with this non-exclusive approach, as I see three potential kinds
of consumers for AbiWord:

1) Embedded developers (hildon, sugar, develop could go here or #2)
2) Developers who want to integrate rich text/document support (for
report generation, etc)
3) People who actually want to use AbiWord.

It seems like an approach along the lines of what Tomas is discussing
does a good job taking care of both 1 and 2. I'd just like to put in my
obligatory plug for #3 - these are some fairly radical changes being
discussed if I understand this correctly, and I want to make sure
Windows (and Mac OS X) support is not being overlooked in the
discussion. Until we move to Cairo, GTK-Print, and I am satisfied that
GTK-Print produces acceptable results in a nearly-native way on Windows
(and presumably also Mac), I will not be satisfied with a GTK port as
our only Windows port. I will have time this summer, thanks to SoC, to
take care of some of the more irritating problems with the Abi Win32
port, as well as bring it up to speed in terms of feature parity, so
please don't write Windows off yet! (If we completely [naively] ignore
external distributions and AbiWord Portable, Windows still blows
everyone else out of the water on our download graphs...)

Ryan