Re: GTKMathView build problems - ideas?

From: J.M. Maurer <uwog_at_uwog.net>
Date: Mon Dec 17 2007 - 22:03:29 CET

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 20:36 -0600, Ryan Pavlik wrote:
> So I'm trying to figure out why LibMathView is toasted in the
> nightlies/trunk that I'm working with. (Actually, 2.5.2 as well) I
> think it's due to changing dependency versions (libgsf/glib/etc) between
> trunk/2.6 and 2.4, so I want to re-build it.
>
> I'm using 0.7.8, the last non-LGPL3 version. I get the build to
> complete (using my instructions I got from Martin many moons ago:
> http://cleardefinition.com/page/Building_gtkmathview_on_Windows/ ), but
> I am missing a libmathview-frontend-libxml2.dll file. I have pasted
> chunks of my build log below - if anyone better at seeing
> compiler/linker errors than I am could figure out why it's not working
> right, that would rock. (Abi and the math plugin build fine with the
> results of this, but on starting I get a missing dll error for that
> file. Apparently libmathview-0.dll wants it.)

I see you are using libxml2 and zlib(?) from
ftp://ftp.zlatkovic.com/pub/libxml/ .

I just compiled gtkmathview myself on a totally clean mingw/msys, and
every time i used any lib from ftp://ftp.zlatkovic.com/pub/libxml/
everything failed. Afaics, all his libs are totally b0rked for some
reason. I'd be highly against using anything from this site in our
production builds.

In the end, what i did was:

* Get glib, gettext-runtime and libiconv from Tor
* Get zlib from http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/zlib.htm
* Compile libxml2 _yourself_ (so you get a proper .pc file to start),
and compile with --without-html --without-http. Any precompiled libxml2
out there seems to be fscked in some way or another.
* Compile gtkmathview with:

PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/home/Administrator/local/lib/pkgconfig/:/mingw/lib/pkgconfi
g/" CC=g++ ./configure --prefix=/mingw --disable-boxml
--disable-gmetadom --disable-libxml2-reader --disable-debug
--disable-custom-reader --enable-pipe --disable-tfm --disable-svg
--disable-gtk --with-t1lib=no --disable-ps --enable-libxml2
--enable-shared --disable-debug

It will work like a charm now, and give you all the dll's you need.

Hope this helps, I want 2.6.0 out!
  Marc