Re: GTKMathView build problems - ideas?

From: Ryan Pavlik <abiryan_at_ryand.net>
Date: Fri Dec 21 2007 - 08:03:13 CET

J.M. Maurer wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 20:36 -0600, Ryan Pavlik wrote:
>
>> So I'm trying to figure out why LibMathView is toasted in the
>> nightlies/trunk that I'm working with. (Actually, 2.5.2 as well) I
>> think it's due to changing dependency versions (libgsf/glib/etc) between
>> trunk/2.6 and 2.4, so I want to re-build it.
>>
>> I'm using 0.7.8, the last non-LGPL3 version. I get the build to
>> complete (using my instructions I got from Martin many moons ago:
>> http://cleardefinition.com/page/Building_gtkmathview_on_Windows/ ), but
>> I am missing a libmathview-frontend-libxml2.dll file. I have pasted
>> chunks of my build log below - if anyone better at seeing
>> compiler/linker errors than I am could figure out why it's not working
>> right, that would rock. (Abi and the math plugin build fine with the
>> results of this, but on starting I get a missing dll error for that
>> file. Apparently libmathview-0.dll wants it.)
>>

> I see you are using libxml2 and zlib(?) from
> ftp://ftp.zlatkovic.com/pub/libxml/ .
>
> I just compiled gtkmathview myself on a totally clean mingw/msys, and
> every time i used any lib from ftp://ftp.zlatkovic.com/pub/libxml/
> everything failed. Afaics, all his libs are totally b0rked for some
> reason. I'd be highly against using anything from this site in our
> production builds.
>
> In the end, what i did was:
>
> * Get glib, gettext-runtime and libiconv from Tor
> * Get zlib from http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/zlib.htm
> * Compile libxml2 _yourself_ (so you get a proper .pc file to start),
> and compile with --without-html --without-http. Any precompiled libxml2
> out there seems to be fscked in some way or another.
> * Compile gtkmathview with:
>
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/home/Administrator/local/lib/pkgconfig/:/mingw/lib/pkgconfi
> g/" CC=g++ ./configure --prefix=/mingw --disable-boxml
> --disable-gmetadom --disable-libxml2-reader --disable-debug
> --disable-custom-reader --enable-pipe --disable-tfm --disable-svg
> --disable-gtk --with-t1lib=no --disable-ps --enable-libxml2
> --enable-shared --disable-debug
>
> It will work like a charm now, and give you all the dll's you need.
>
> Hope this helps, I want 2.6.0 out!
> Marc

Alright, got libxml2 built (I use the official zlib builds), I put
instructions at http://cleardefinition.com/page/Building_libxml2_on_Windows/

I will try building gtkmathview and then all of abi using this new lib
tomorrow.

(Did you get a libxml2-2.dll file? That's not what I used to get from
zlatkovic, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. We had been
using his libxml2 in the 2.4 series for the plugins that needed it, and
in the 2.5/trunk nightlies thus far - when I'm sure I made a decent
build of it, I'll upgrade those build systems except for the 2.4)

--
Ryan Pavlik
AbiWord Win32 Platform Maintainer, Art Lead: www.abisource.com