Re: RFC font ui

From: Robert Staudinger <robert.staudinger_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu Feb 01 2007 - 22:00:58 CET

On 2/1/07, Reinout van Schouwen <reinout@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Tomas,
>
> 2007/1/28, Tomas Frydrych <tf@o-hand.com>:
>
> > I have been pondering couple of issues that relate to our font UI that
> > as user I am not happy with, and think should be addressed before the
> > 2.6 release.
>
> (...)
>
> I recently bumped into an article about font selection UI and thought
> it might be relevant in this discussion.
>
> Read it here: http://unifont.org/fontdialog/

Hi Reinout,

thanks for pointing that out. I'm not convinced about the proposed
approach though, so here is my backseat HCI person, "orange sunglasses
wannabe" verdict:
+ Excessive categorisation and hierarchy is bad. Only a small fraction
of the "tree" will be of interest for one user, few are going to mix
e.g. arabic and cjk (estimation).
+ Using standard widgets in a nonstandard way (tree view in combo box)
is counter intuitive.
+ Advanced information such as ttf/ps font and similar may be needed
for a graphics app but hardly for a word processor.
+ Trying to render previews inline in the combo is a cpu / disk hog. Been there.

So?
Probably sorting the last recently used fonts on top of the font combo
would go a long way. We'll possibly have that for 2.6. Even better if
it's prefilled with used fonts detected at document load time (would
be some more work).

Best,
Rob