Re: RFC font ui

From: Reinout van Schouwen <reinout_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Feb 02 2007 - 00:02:05 CET

Hi Robert,

2007/2/1, Robert Staudinger <robert.staudinger@gmail.com>:

> + Excessive categorisation and hierarchy is bad.

What can I say, have a look at the Epiphany bookmarks system with
autmatic topic categorisation. :)

In any case, for fonts, one level of categorisation should be enough, I agree.

> + Using standard widgets in a nonstandard way (tree view in combo box)
> is counter intuitive.

+1

> + Advanced information such as ttf/ps font and similar may be needed
> for a graphics app but hardly for a word processor.

IMHO Abiword should just ignore bitmapped fonts, if it doesn't
already, and not discern between various subtypes of scalable fonts.

> + Trying to render previews inline in the combo is a cpu / disk hog. Been there.

How about reusing the nautilus thumbnailer? Font previews should be
pre-rendered for any user that ever used the nautilus font preview.
OK, so this isn't a solution for Mac/Windows users, but still... A
'smart preview' could calculate just the 5 visible fonts in the list,
and of course cache the thumbnails again.

> Probably sorting the last recently used fonts on top of the font combo
> would go a long way.

Yes it would, but it mostly helps users who know their way around the
font menus already. There's not much use for 'most used fonts' for a
newbie user who's scared off by a daunting list of fonts and leaves it
at Times New Roman for the rest of his life.

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen
http://vanschouwen.info/