Re: Would you like to collaborate on grammar and style checking?

From: Reinout van Schouwen <reinout_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon Jan 01 2007 - 22:36:13 CET

Hi Martin, everyone,

A happy 2007 to all!

Op zaterdag 30-12-2006 om 20:49 uur [tijdzone +1100], schreef
msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au:

> The Abiword side of things works pretty well, but the best free grammar
> checker we've found is link-grammar. While it is of some use, it is very
> slow and has no ability to offer suggestions for what is wrong with a
> particular sentence nor are other language well supported although in
> principle they could be.

Just throwing in my 2 eurocents. The Dutch OO.o l10n team is currently
working on a ruleset for LanguageTool[1], a basic grammar checking
engine that already supports English, German and Polish. In a short
timeframe they have been able to get promising results. The engine is
also able to give suggestions.

What I'm trying to say is this: if Sonnet/Elixir is going to provide a
grammar checking backend, it shouldn't be tied to just link-grammar. I
don't think the community is big enough (in any case the Dutch one) to
support two distinct grammar checking rulesets.

[1] http://www.danielnaber.de/languagetool/

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen