Re: RFC font ui

From: Tomas Frydrych <tf_at_o-hand.com>
Date: Sun Jan 28 2007 - 11:19:00 CET

Robert Staudinger wrote:

> On 1/28/07, Tomas Frydrych <tf@o-hand.com> wrote:
>>
>> Martin,
>>
>> > The situation on unix has changed dramatically in the past 3 years.
>> Unix
>> > used to have just the few old fre urw's now we have tons. I agree
>> with the
>> > idea of preferentially limiting the fonts to current locale.
>> >

>> > As a rule I like the idea of limiting preferences but some are
>> desirable.
>> > Which pane of the preferences would you put this in?
>> >

>> Just thinking that if the Font dialog still showed all of the fonts, and
>> only the combo was filtered, we probably would not need an option for
>> this at all.
>
> Wouldn't that make users "exotic" languages 2nd class citizens?
> I've been pondering the patch the font combo to put the n last
> recently used fonts on top, like other word processord do. Maybe that
> would go some way?

I have played with this a bit, and it seems it is not possible to filter
fonts for a given locale in a sensible way because many of the fonts I
would like to filter out include coverage for ASCII and some of the
fonts I want to keep have wide Unicode coverate too; so that does away
with the idea to do any filtering by default. But it should still be
possible to permit a list of fontconfig rules in the profile for the
power-user to tweak, for example to only include small list of fonts.

Tomas