Re: New Feature - Re: CVS: commit msevior abi/src/text/fmt/unix fv_UnixVisualDrag.cpp

From: Ryan Pavlik <abiryan_at_ryand.net>
Date: Wed Mar 14 2007 - 01:06:41 CET

Alan Horkan wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Mar 2007, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
>

>> Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 09:22:41 +0100
>> From: Reinout van Schouwen <reinout@gmail.com>
>> To: abiword-dev@abisource.com
>> Subject: Re: New Feature - Re: CVS: commit msevior abi/src/text/fmt/unix
>> fv_UnixVisualDrag.cpp
>>

>> Op dinsdag 13-03-2007 om 08:08 uur [tijdzone +0000], schreef Tomas
>> Frydrych:
>>

>>> I really dislike message boxes, and this one seems to me of no value at
>>> all -- if I want to open a document in a new window, I double click it;
>>> I think it is more than reasonable to assume that if I go through the
>>> trouble of dragging a document, I want it pasted/embedded into the target.
>>>
>> +1
>>

> +1
>
> And if you feel it is absolutely necessary to show a message box the
> buttons should not be labelled Yes/No but should instead be labelled with
> something else such as Insert/Open/Cancel so that users need only skim
> read the messages.

+1, although I will admit I've done the "Start AbiWord" then "drag to
open" thing on a system where I wanted to open a non-assosciated file
type (whether ABW or supported by an importer) and didn't feel like
re-navigating. Is there any way a file dragged onto a blank document is
opened (similar to how opening a doc with only a blank doc open replaces
the blank doc), but is inserted into any non-blank drop target?

(Oh, and I know at least the Mac OS X HIG requires verb-buttons like the
Insert/Open/Cancel, not sure about GTK+, and there's no real HIG on
Windows but I like verb-buttons)

Ryan

--
Ryan Pavlik