Re: libwv vs libwv2

From: Dominic Lachowicz <domlachowicz_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon Mar 19 2007 - 16:05:05 CET

As far as I know, libwv2 isn't being developed any more. I blame
myself for failing to live up to my promises to the Koffice guys.

libwv-1.2.x works, but the utility you're looking for (wvHtml) is
unmaintained. It is considered deprecated in favor of using AbiWord's
command-line interface. This is due to a lack of time and interest on
my part.

AbiWord uses the most recent version of libwv-1.2.x, so your worry
about it using an outdated version of libwv is moot.

Get a recent version of libwmf2. And make sure that the AbiWord WMF
plugin is installed. Note that this only handles WMF images in Word
docs. Most other image types (PNG, JPEG, BMP, etc.) are handled
natively.

Since AbiWord 2.4.1, there have been many Word import improvements and
even more HTML export improvements. I don't know what you'd consider
"perfect" or what particular bugs you encountered.

AbiWord's DOC->HTML conversion surely isn't perfect, but I haven't
encountered anything that comes close to it wrt quality. And that
includes Word itself.

Dom

--
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums.