Re: Why ISO language codes shouldn't be trusted

From: Amos Batto <amosbatto_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Oct 19 2007 - 02:18:57 CEST

> I think that also linguistics community have the
> responsibility to help
> as much they can international standardization
> bodies like the ISO

Sadly, linguists (at least the linguists who I know)
don't pay much attention to the ISO language codes.
Neither of my two friends who are linguists in Bolivia
had even heard of the ISO language codes. My guess is
that most linguists don't bother looking at the
websites for SIL International, Ethnologue.com, and
the ISO. It is only when you try to use different
languages in software that the ISO codes become an
issue--the linguistics field certainly doesn't use
them.

> I'm going to commit soon the languages that have the
> ISO code until Amos
> gets back to us and we make a decision about this.

Jordi, I have submitted forms to SIL/ISO. They might
change the codes in January 2008, but they also might
wait for years. So my suggestion is to use the ISO
language codes that are available today and don't wait
for the SIL/ISO.

The Bolivian government is eager to start using
AbiWord in Quechua and Aymara today. They are
currently building 1000 telecenters in rural
communities (about 350 are already up and running) and
they keep asking me when they can start installing
AbiWord in their telecenters. The Bolivian Ministry of
Education has already handed out 400 CDs with AbiWord
in Aymara, but they currently are using Northern
Aymara by selecting "Spanish" from the language list
and Southern Aymara by selecting "Italian", and they
can only these languages by replacing the strings
files for Spanish and Italian. People in Bolivia keep
asking me when they can download AbiWord in Aymara and
install it without fiddling with the strings files.

Likewise, in Peru, they are making plans to buy the
educational laptops from the One Laptop Per Child
program, and they are very interested in using AbiWord
in Quechua and Aymara. I talked with the director of
Bilingual education in the Peruvian Ministry of
Education, and he told me that they might distribute
AbiWord for Windows in their training packs for
Bilingual teachers.

So there is serious demand here in the Andes to use
AbiWord, but only if it comes in their native
languages.

So let me reiterate, my earlier suggestion to get
around the ISO code problem:

http://www.runasimipi.org/abiword/ayn-BO.po
becomes "aym-BO.po" and is listed as "Aymara (La Paz)"

http://www.runasimipi.org/abiword/ays-BO.po
becomes "ayc-BO.po" and is listed as "Aymara (Oruro)"

http://www.runasimipi.org/abiword/qu3-BO.po
becomes "quh-BO.po" and is listed as "Quechua (3
vowels)"

http://www.runasimipi.org/abiword/qu5-BO.po
becomes "qul-BO.po" and is listed as "Quechua (5
vowels)"

(Our previous Quechua translation file will also have
to be removed, which is "qu-BO.po" and was submitted
when AbiWord was in version 2.10)

Hopefully this is an acceptable solution.

Cheers,
Amos