Re: Why ISO language codes shouldn't be trusted

From: Jordi Mas <jmas_at_softcatala.org>
Date: Fri Oct 19 2007 - 15:32:33 CEST

Hello Amos,

> Jordi, I have submitted forms to SIL/ISO. They might
> change the codes in January 2008, but they also might
> wait for years. So my suggestion is to use the ISO
> language codes that are available today and don't wait
> for the SIL/ISO.

Ok, that makes sense.
> So let me reiterate, my earlier suggestion to get
> around the ISO code problem:
>
> http://www.runasimipi.org/abiword/ayn-BO.po
> becomes "aym-BO.po" and is listed as "Aymara (La Paz)"
>
> http://www.runasimipi.org/abiword/ays-BO.po
> becomes "ayc-BO.po" and is listed as "Aymara (Oruro)"
>
> http://www.runasimipi.org/abiword/qu3-BO.po
> becomes "quh-BO.po" and is listed as "Quechua (3
> vowels)"
>
> http://www.runasimipi.org/abiword/qu5-BO.po
> becomes "qul-BO.po" and is listed as "Quechua (5
> vowels)"
>
> (Our previous Quechua translation file will also have
> to be removed, which is "qu-BO.po" and was submitted
> when AbiWord was in version 2.10)
>
> Hopefully this is an acceptable solution.

I think that it is. I have removed the old translations as you indicated
and I have committed the new ones including the ISO codes that you have
indicated. I'm resending in another message the patch that I have
committed just in case you want to reviewed it.

Thanks for your work!

--
Jordi Mas i Hernāndez, HomePage http://www.softcatala.org/~jmas/
Bloc personal http://www.softcatala.org/~jmas/bloc/