Re: rfc - renaming of OpenXML plugin

From: Philippe Milot <philmilot_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Apr 08 2008 - 00:43:30 CEST

Hi, I'm the one who "contributed most to the code" as Martin puts it.
I personally don't care whether the plugin is renamed or not; I
generally try to steer clear of certain political debates, like the
definition of "open".

As you all know, the official name for the format is "Office Open
XML"; that is a little long, so for the name of the plugin it has been
shortened to "OpenXML". Since Robert says that the name is for
internal use only, if you want to be accurate and as politically
neutral as possible, you could always rename it to "ECMA 376". "OXML"
and "OOXML" also seem like fine choices.

The only thing I do not agree with is to mention "Microsoft Word" or
"MS Office" in the name, because the implementation is only based on
the ECMA specs, not Word 2007's behavior (for now).