Re: [Patch] LaTeX: improve equation edit dialog

From: Ryan Pavlik <abiryan_at_ryand.net>
Date: Tue Apr 22 2008 - 21:56:29 CEST

sum1abi@gmail.com wrote:
>> Yes I should. Clearly I missed the fact that they already point to
>> different strings when we need to compare them. Thanks for reviewing.
>>
>> Attached is a revised(-again) patch.
>>
>> --
>> Thanks & regards
>> Xun Sun
>>

> Thanks for preparing and revising this patch, Xun. Unfortunately, I
> don't think it should be committed because it breaks the following use
> case:
> 1 - user inserts an equation
> 2 - user right-clicks on the equation
> 3 - user tries to insert the same equation in a different document
> position and can't
>
> I don't think it's too uncommon to insert the same equation at
> multiple points in a document, so this would be a loss of
> functionality, in my opinion. I also think the above method is a bit
> less cumbersome than copying and pasting the equation multiple times.

Yeah, I'm basically dependent on the equation sticking around in the
dialog when I (for instance) write up a proof or homework problem - I
just write my equation once, insert, then manipulate, insert again,
lather rinse repeat.

It would be really cool to have both the dialog like we have now and
some inline form - once upon a time I wanted to add a context menu item
in AbiWord to an equation, which would later be edited with the dialog.
I'd imagine this is probably the easiest enhancement to make here, and
it would have a nice improvement in document creation workflow for
inline equations - that is, as opposed to the proof-style use case I
mention above.

Thanks for your work!

Ryan

--