Re: [Patch] LaTeX: improve equation edit dialog

From: Xun Sun <xun.sun.cn_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Apr 23 2008 - 04:16:13 CEST

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 3:56 AM, Ryan Pavlik <abiryan@ryand.net> wrote:

> sum1abi@gmail.com wrote:
>

> > > Yes I should. Clearly I missed the fact that they already point to
> > > different strings when we need to compare them. Thanks for reviewing.
> > >
> > > Attached is a revised(-again) patch.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Thanks & regards
> > > Xun Sun
> > >

> > Thanks for preparing and revising this patch, Xun. Unfortunately, I
> > don't think it should be committed because it breaks the following use
> > case:
> > 1 - user inserts an equation
> > 2 - user right-clicks on the equation
> > 3 - user tries to insert the same equation in a different document
> > position and can't
> >
> > I don't think it's too uncommon to insert the same equation at
> > multiple points in a document, so this would be a loss of
> > functionality, in my opinion. I also think the above method is a bit
> > less cumbersome than copying and pasting the equation multiple times.
> >

> Yeah, I'm basically dependent on the equation sticking around in the dialog
> when I (for instance) write up a proof or homework problem - I just write my
> equation once, insert, then manipulate, insert again, lather rinse repeat.

Thanks for your comments and explanation. One thing I have learnt is
that AbiWord is indeed very much different from MS Word, in the way it
treats and respects its user by allowing maximum flexibility :)

> It would be really cool to have both the dialog like we have now and some
> inline form - once upon a time I wanted to add a context menu item "mark as
> equation" which would make a one-time conversion of some text in AbiWord to
> an equation, which would later be edited with the dialog. I'd imagine this
> is probably the easiest enhancement to make here, and it would have a nice
> improvement in document creation workflow for inline equations - that is, as
> opposed to the proof-style use case I mention above.

This would be useful, since it eliminates the need of switching
between the main window and the equation dialog frequently. I will try
to implement it when I have time, if no one has already or opposes:)

> Thanks for your work!

Thanks for your comments.

--
Thanks & regards