Re: RFC: Improving user experience with Grammar

From: Martin Sevior <msevior_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun Apr 27 2008 - 10:02:19 CEST

Hi Ryan,
            I agreee that grammar checking has a big performance hit.
link-grammar takes an exponentially long time to check long sentences.
 I'd simply vote for grammar checking to default to "off" in the
preferences for 2.6.3.

Linas has done a lot of work on link-grammar over the past 4 months so
lets debate more substansive changes to grammar checking for 2.8.
after we have a chance to see what the outcome of his work is.

 BTW we definitely don't want to introduce threads to abiword and I
tired as best as I could to work out the best algorithim for balancing
the rate of grammar checking. However the fundamental problem is that
link-grammar is slow for long sentences.