RFC: Improving user experience with Grammar

From: Ryan Pavlik <abiryan_at_ryand.net>
Date: Sun Apr 27 2008 - 00:43:56 CEST

This goes along with my previous email. Grammar is a pretty slick
feature, but as it stands now, it's unreasonable for most to leave it on
during document creation and editing. There are a couple possible
solutions that have occurred to me that allow a blending of the
capability and the performance.

In no particular order:
Disable checking by default in Preferences.
Expose a menu item or toggle toolbar button for turning on/off "Show
grammar check results"
Implement a dialog for grammar instead of showing it inline.
Figure out how to put grammar in a separate thread without making us all
very confused and compromising Abi.

Any other ideas, takers on one of these, preguntas, comentarios,
observaciones, protestas, quejas?

Ryan

FYI - in Ubuntu's new packages which they have yet to accept, grammar
shares a separate package with math. In the Windows tools plugin
installer grammar does not go in the default install, though of course
it does in the full or custom (if they choose it) install.

--
Ryan Pavlik
www.cleardefinition.com
#282  +  (442) -  [X]