New AbiWord on Ubuntu effort

From: Ryan Pavlik <abiryan_at_ryand.net>
Date: Sun Apr 27 2008 - 23:07:38 CEST

Well, I'm still working on seeing if we can get into Hardy as an update,
as I was told on IRC - then we'd be distributed to all Hardy users as an
upgrade and also on the 8.04.1 re-spin of the iso's. In the meantime,
here's my current progress:

I've set up a Launchpad team "abiword-stable" which is essentially just
so that AbiWord can have its own stable, auto-building PPA (personal
package archive) repository for Ubuntu. It's located here:
https://launchpad.net/~abiword-stable/+archive

I will maintain the packages and uploads, but if anyone wants to hear
about new abiword bugs being filed in Launchpad please feel free to join
the team. Right now I have builds for Gutsy and Feisty (the two
releases before Hardy), and I am working on a build issue [1] for Dapper
(the last long term support release, still got another year of support
in it) .

I have also set up a team abiword-devel, which I hope to have a PPA with
nightly releases of trunk being uploaded and built, for those of you "on
the edge." Might even build them with debug on, if there is interest.
I estimate this to be done by the end of May.

So, question, comments? Is there interest in having trunk, debug builds
nightly for AbiWord, or should I use abiword-devel to just preview the
next stable series' packaging? Let me know! Thanks for your support!

Ryan

--
Ryan Pavlik
www.cleardefinition.com