call for participation: make libabiword a usable gtk widget

From: Fabian Sturm <f_at_rtfs.org>
Date: Wed Dec 31 2008 - 13:45:02 CET

Hello!

I am trying to write a filecard learning program in my spare time.
This program should have a couple of unique features. One of them would
be the ability to create filecards with complex mathematical formulas.
Therefore I started to use libabiword as a widget for filecard display.
Since I am writing the program in C# I also created the abiword-sharp
language binding.

But unfortunately my progress is very slow. Not only because I had not
much spare time but also because I need several non trivial (at least
for me) adjustments to the libabiword library.

Therefore my call for participation here.

First of all I would like to know where the libabiword library should be
heading? Would you support necessary adjustment to get the library into
a usable gtk widget?

Are there plans to get the library packaged for the various distros?
This would make it easier for developers to use the library in their
projects. I know that the api is not yet stable, but I still think it
would make sense to have it packaged. E.g. I would otherwise need to
include libabiword, the .net binding and the program in one package to
be buildable.

A zoom behaviour appropriate for a widget, e.g. no fixed page size.
Martin already implemented it (thanks!!), but unfortunately I got
sidetracked at that time and could not get it to work right now.

I also added a couple of bugs/patches to the bugtracker and would do so
in the future if it makes sense. Some of them got already integrated,
thanks for that! But unfortunately there are bugs that I can't solve
myself or would at least need a substantial amount of help.

E.g. currently open

11304 add set_content to libabiwidget
11348 inconsistency with set zoom percentage
11351 The sensitive setting has no visual effect on the abiwidget
11367 A changed signal would be handy for the abiwidget
11369 The cursor in the abiwidget behaves strange
11370 The abiwidget can't be easily set to readonly
11718 libabiword is not package in the ubuntu ppa
11895 libabiword content_lenght, selection_lenght returns char ...

Thanks in advance, and hoping for a positive reply,
Fabian

P.s. I will try to stay on irc as often as possible, as tantris.