Re: Fwd: Smart quotes patch

From: Tomas Frydrych <tf_at_o-hand.com>
Date: Thu Feb 07 2008 - 10:45:21 CET

Hi,

Bobby Weinmann wrote:
> 1) I am using svn so undo/redo is largely broken (doing undo twice
> does a redo). However, typing a quote which gets converted and then
> pressing undo deletes the quote. AFAIK, that's the right behavior.

Nope, undo immediately after smart-quote replacement should revert back
to the plain quote. Only a second undo should remove the actual insertion.

> 1) Gerrit brings up an excellent point about how to switch the smart
> quote styles, since many languages have multiple formats. On top of
> which the Swiss do their German quotes different than the Germans.
> Dang foreigners! :)

Add strings for the four or so quote types to the XAPString tables as I
suggested. This allows you to fine grain it as needed (e.g., can have
different quotes for de-DE and de-CH).

> 2) How to switch languages period. If I type an English article with
> a German quote, what do you do?

You switch language to German *before* starting the quote.

> Someone suggested checking the
> language of the previous character, but that doesn't work for the same
> reason it looks like smart quotes were always broken - paragraphs
> often start with quotes, which means you have no previous character.

You do not check the language of the previous character, but the
language at the insertion point.

> I think the best solution would be a tool bar or dialog option that
> allows you to set the quote marks to whatever funky combination your
> language/locale uses.

Nope, this should just work without the user having to mess about with
anything.

> I'd also like to add the option to translate bactick "`" to open quote
> and apostrophe "'" to close quote. In English, it is impossible for
> the word processor to figure out whether an apostrophe at the
> beginning of a word is the start of a quote or an abbreviation used in
> speech ('em for them).

I am not too sure about adding an option for this; it strikes me as a
marginal case and it is easy to work around.

Tomas