Re: MS word version supported in wvWare or Abiword

From: Dominic Lachowicz <domlachowicz_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Feb 22 2008 - 02:53:58 CET

The Microsoft Office file formats didn't change, really, from 1997
until the recent OOXML specification. Because Microsoft cannot yet go
back in time in order to promote vendor lock-in, wvWare (and thus,
AbiWord) will continue to handle Office 2003 documents.

> web site, but can't find any official statements about this. I would
> consider using AbiWord to do the straining, but it seems like overkill
> since we don't need to GUI component.

AbiWord is quite adept at doing precisely that. Its import and export
facilities are really good, as are the number of formats supported.
AbiWord has a nice command-line mode, and with a bit of hackery, you
can turn it into a headless server daemon to do conversions for you.
No GUI need be involved at runtime.

Cheers,
Dom