Dropping the (optional) gnome-vfs dependency

From: Dominic Lachowicz <domlachowicz_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu Jul 17 2008 - 17:41:38 CEST

As many of you may know, GnomeVFS has somewhat recently been
deprecated by the Gnome folks in favor of GIO, a cross-platform
virtual filesystem thingie that's built into Glib. Most anything that
GnomeVFS can do, GIO can do too (often better, and it'll work on Win32
and OSX too).

About 4 months ago, I added GIO support to libgsf, which is the
library that AbiWord uses for all file-related things.

I'd like to add GIO support to AbiWord. Mostly, this will involve
changing ut_go_file.cpp to use GIO functions instead of their GnomeVFS
equivalents, and returning the new GIO-based GSF classes where
appropriate.

What I want is to see what the consensus is around the following options:

1) Are people ok with this as an optional dependency?
2) What about as a hard dependency?
3) If you want it optional, what are your thoughts about
keeping/removing the existing optional GnomeVFS support?

I'd personally advocate for #2, but I'm ok with #1 iff we remove the
GnomeVFS code. I have no interest in maintaining 3 code paths, at
least 1 of which is deprecated.

We could use this as a kicking-off point to remove the few other
places in our GTK+ port that use GnomeVFS (maybe the clipboard? GIO
can handle mime types just as well). It'd be one fewer "GNOME"
dependency that scares the bejeebuz out of some of our users.

Cheers,

Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums.