Re: Dropping the (optional) gnome-vfs dependency

From: Hubert Figuiere <hfiguiere_at_teaser.fr>
Date: Thu Jul 17 2008 - 19:31:10 CEST

On Thu, 2008-07-17 at 11:41 -0400, Dominic Lachowicz wrote:
> As many of you may know, GnomeVFS has somewhat recently been
> deprecated by the Gnome folks in favor of GIO, a cross-platform
> virtual filesystem thingie that's built into Glib. Most anything that
> GnomeVFS can do, GIO can do too (often better, and it'll work on Win32
> and OSX too).
>
> About 4 months ago, I added GIO support to libgsf, which is the
> library that AbiWord uses for all file-related things.
>
> I'd like to add GIO support to AbiWord. Mostly, this will involve
> changing ut_go_file.cpp to use GIO functions instead of their GnomeVFS
> equivalents, and returning the new GIO-based GSF classes where
> appropriate.
>
> What I want is to see what the consensus is around the following options:
>
> 1) Are people ok with this as an optional dependency?
> 2) What about as a hard dependency?
> 3) If you want it optional, what are your thoughts about
> keeping/removing the existing optional GnomeVFS support?

I think we should keep GnomeVFS support if that's not to much but
prefere GIO support. The problem is that GIO is still not THAT
widespread. For example on SUSE, it is only on openSUSE 11. SLED 10 does
not have it. Etc.

My numbers are

I'd just avoid #2 altogether for the reason enumerated above.

Hub