Re: Question about stripped binaries

From: Jose Da Silva <digital_at_joescat.com>
Date: Fri Mar 14 2008 - 21:17:59 CET

On March 14, 2008 04:06:17 am Ryan Pavlik wrote:
> Is there any reason I shouldn't strip AbiWord.exe? It saves about 2-3
> megs off the binary size (8 down to 5 approx), but wasn't being done by
> the makefiles already. I probably won't have time to add it for 2.6
> unless I do it manually (which is a very possible possibility), but if
> possible I'd like to keep binaries small.
>
> Ryan

After you strip, you could use this.
http://upx.sourceforge.net/
but only recommended for individual binaries you may have on the abiword
website since it may be unlikely that end users have this when compiling.
It's also an added layer of complexity, so you may want to opt-out on this.

You can strip at compile time using the gcc -s option.