Re: Creation of AbiSource Corportation B.V. and grand plans

From: J.M. Maurer <uwog_at_uwog.net>
Date: Sat May 17 2008 - 01:37:50 CEST

On Fri, 2008-05-16 at 15:06 -0400, Hubert Figuiere wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 21:43 +1000, Martin Sevior wrote:
> > Of course the code in AbiWord will always
> > be 100% free software.
>
> Congrats guys on the new venture.
>

> I think that at one point we should think about creating a non-profit
> AbiSource Foundation to "manage" the "ownership" of AbiWord in order to:

Since AbiSource Corp does not want to 'own' AbiWord in any way, feel
free to create such a foundation :)

> -ensure that it stays as community developed free software

Wasn't the GPL invented for this purpose?

> -limit the bus factor for the (tm) and copyright ownership

Copyright ownership is already all over the place (we have 70+ copyright
owners). No foundation or corporate startup would change anything about
that. In effect, this already guarantees that no single entity will ever
be able to own _all_ the copyrights (and could thus relicense the code
for example). This is a good thing imo.

This would leave the foundation only 1 thing: it could manage the
trademarks. Not sure how much sense that would make, or how much fun it
would be :)

Cheers!
  Marc