Re: Creation of AbiSource Corportation B.V. and grand plans

From: Hubert Figuiere <hfiguiere_at_teaser.fr>
Date: Sat May 17 2008 - 02:45:44 CEST

On Sat, 2008-05-17 at 01:37 +0200, J.M. Maurer wrote:

> > -ensure that it stays as community developed free software
>
> Wasn't the GPL invented for this purpose?

Can do without but for a lot of thing we just depend on Dom :-)
administratively-wise. Also there are various reasons why a non-profit
could be useful and provide "support" for the whole project.

> > -limit the bus factor for the (tm) and copyright ownership
>
> Copyright ownership is already all over the place (we have 70+ copyright
> owners). No foundation or corporate startup would change anything about
> that. In effect, this already guarantees that no single entity will ever
> be able to own _all_ the copyrights (and could thus relicense the code
> for example). This is a good thing imo.

Not talking about relicensing. More talking having a moral person that
could be able to deal with issue for the whole (or whoever wants). But
maybe that's just useless.

> This would leave the foundation only 1 thing: it could manage the
> trademarks. Not sure how much sense that would make, or how much fun it
> would be :)

It is not a matter of fun but a matter of make sure it is safe.

Anyway maybe I'm dreaming with the eyes wide open for nothing.

Hub