Re: New developer

From: Hubert Figuiere <hfiguiere_at_teaser.fr>
Date: Wed Nov 05 2008 - 23:27:04 CET

On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 21:00 +0000, Josh Holland wrote:
> Hello AbiWord developers!
> I am interested in helping to work on a free software project, but I
> have no idea about how it is done. A quick search on SourceForge for
> projects using C++ (one of the two languages I know, the other Python)
> found you, and I thought that this would be a reasonable first project
> to get involved in. I've written a few programs on my own (Ubuntu)
> computer, but nothing "commercial quality". I would be grateful if you
> could help me direct my limited resources?

First of all, AbiWord is not hosted on Soureforge. We have used it for
the bandwidth for the packages at one point, but that all.
Everything is in http://www.abisource.com/

AbiWord is indeed written in C++.

The best way to get involved is to download the source code, build it
and then fix a bug.
http://www.abisource.com/developers/

Download the source code preferably using subversion.
http://www.abisource.com/developers/download.phtml
http://www.abisource.com/wiki/Getting_the_source_code
Build it:
http://www.abisource.com/wiki/Compiling_AbiWord

For the bugs, use the bug tracker:
http://bugzilla.abisource.com/

There are a lot of bugs, so it might be hard to chose one. Usually it
start with one that annoys you. That's how I started.

Don't hesitate to ask questions here, on on IRC
http://www.abisource.com/support/help/irc.phtml

Good luck.

Cheers,

Hub