Progress in the Table layout branch

From: Martin Sevior <msevior_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Aug 04 2009 - 10:47:43 CEST

Hi everyone,
                  Aditya and I have been working away in the table
layout branch. The first goal of which is to improve the speed the
table layout. Aditya has identified a number of places where
non-linear behaviour creeps in. We made great progress in this and
although we're not quite linear we're very close and substantially
faster than trunk.

http://www.abisource.com/~msevior/TableLayout_times.jpg

We've also been working through the positioning and drawing of table
lines. We've made substantial progress in this too but we still have
more work to.

Further improvements in the performance of Tables will only be made
through a much faster PieceTable. We're about to start this in the
lognpt branch.

Cheers!

Martin