about GSoC project: Port AbiWord for Windows to Unicode

From: Eric <cnfnxk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Mar 27 2009 - 05:21:14 CET

Hi,

I am interested in porting AbiWord for windows to unicode. As a
Chinese speaker, I find some problems in the UI when there are Chinese
characters. Here are several examples:
http://sites.google.com/site/ericzqma/abiword/abi_about.PNG?attredirects=0
http://sites.google.com/site/ericzqma/abiword/abi_on_close.PNG?attredirects=0
http://sites.google.com/site/ericzqma/abiword/abi_style.PNG?attredirects=0

I prefer option 1 of Jordi's preliminary work
(http://abiword.com/mailinglists/abiword-dev/2007/Apr/0031.html).
There are much benefit. Most of the developer's effort should be spent
on most important functions. Less bugs would appear when support only
the unicode platform rather than two. But I still have some questions:

Is there data about how much users of AbiWord still use the Win9X/Me?
Whether they use the newest version? If we can prove that these users
do not update their applications much, we can briefly port AbiWord to
unicode and maintain a stable ANSI version such 2.6.

Here is my ideas:
1) Use WCHAR to handle unicodes.
2) Use the unicode version Win32 APIs.

Thanks.