Re: Request for review of changes in Write

From: Martin Sevior <msevior_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu Oct 28 2010 - 01:01:11 CEST

HI Gonzalo,

This is great that you're taking over maintainer ship of Write.

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 1:28 AM, Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo@laptop.org> wrote:

> Hi, I am trying to resolve pending issues in the Write activity.
> Would be great if you can review them:
>
> 1) fix paste images in write - olpc #2507 and olpc #7186
>
>     Now you can copy a image from Paint, Browse or Write and paste in Write
>     The patch implement take from the clipboard the different types of contents
>
> Patch attached to http://dev.laptop.org/attachment/ticket/2507/

Yes. This is fine as far as I can see go ahead and commit it.

> 2) Add the option to export to PDF - SL #1458
>
>     Signed-Off-By: iwikiwi <vamsi.davuluri@gmail.com>
>
> NOTE: The patch was in the ticket, i have tested it and works perfectly.
>
> Patch attached to http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1458

Yes. This is fine. Go ahead and commit it.

> 3) Disable the table creation button if there are a image selected - OLPC #4424
>
>     In abiword, is not possible add a table if there are a image selected.
>
> Note: Previously, if you have a image selected, and add a table, the
> table was created over the image.
> In Abiword, if you have a image selected and add a table, the image disappear.
> Then, I disable the button (like suggested in the ticket)
>
> Patch in http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/4424

I'm not so sure about this. Are you sure you want this behaviour? The
current behaviour is perfectly consistent with the way write works. If
these is a selection, the selection is removed and a table is
inserted.

I'd ask on the list before implementing this.

> 4) Change the mode of insert image to "in place". Fix OLPC #7405 and OLPC #3066

I'm not the least bit sure you want this behaviour. If you do this, it
will be impossible to make text wrap around images, which is what
users have come to expect from Write. I suggest instead you implement
a UI to convert a wrapped text image to an image in place.

Or failing that, make it so that images dropped onto a table are
inserted into the table in place. This will take some C++ code to
implement in libAbiWord but I think it is a good idea for AbiWord
itself to have this behaviour.

In any case please discuss this on the sugar-devel list to determine
if people want this change in behaviour.