Re: Status of AbiWord Pootle hosting

From: Chris Leonard <cjlhomeaddress_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Jun 03 2011 - 15:47:18 CEST

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 2:47 AM, Besnik Bleta <besnik@programeshqip.org> wrote:

> Thank you! What about locale ownership assignement? Are you importing them
> into Pootle? Do we need to ask for them?
>
> Besnik

Wow, what a great response. I will answer each post in an individual
message to keep the responses clear.

In Pootle there is a concept called "language administrator", that
privilege typically includes the power to:

"commit to version control" (not an available option for AbiWord as it
involves backend connections and priv setup)

"administrate a translation project" (not used much by us, has to do
with assigning taks, etc. for larger more formal teams).

"Overwrite translations on uploading files" (probably useful for AbiWord)

This is on top of the less sensitive privileges to "make a
suggestion", "review translations", "submit a translation" "download
archives of PO files", "view a project".

More information about language admin role can be found here:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Translation_Team/Administration_QuickStart

At Sugar Labs we have a fairly informal process for requesting
language admin priv. We ask that you register on our Pootle server
(privs are granted to a Pootle username) and post a request to our
L10n list with the language and Pootle username. This keeps admin
matters open and visible to the community.

http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/localization/

In general those requests are granted to known contributors, in the
current case of our new contributors from AbiWord, please mention that
you're joining us from AbiWord L10n community so we know that you are
not a random newbie asking for "power". For languages with large
deployments (e.g. Nepal, Oceania, etc.) we may defer the decision to
grant lang-admin to deployment leaders as they are the ones who must
live with the L10n provided and they have direct responsibility to the
children using those strings in an educational setting.

Pootle is also capable of granting these privs on a project-by-project
basis (rather than a language-by-language basis) which is something we
haven't been doing so far, but we could explore that option if an
AbiWord developer focused on L10n wanted privs across languages for
good reason.

I hope that answers your question.

cjl