Re: Status of AbiWord Pootle hosting

From: Chris Leonard <cjlhomeaddress_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun Jun 05 2011 - 17:23:43 CEST

On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 6:08 AM, Besnik Bleta <besnik@programeshqip.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The point here is that some of us might be solely interested on keeping our
> translations of AbiWord healthy, without having to ask new permissions or
> bend to new policies brought upon us from a different project.

Dear Besnick,

It is absolutely not required that you request lang-sq admin priv to
contribute on the Pootle server. All you need to do is register and
create a login (a simple automated process including an e-amil
confirmation step, that I believe you have already completed, so you
are all set to begin contributing to AbiWord (or any other lang-sq
project you may choose). There is no requirement to "ask new
permissions or bend to new policies brought upon us from a different
project", just a simple registration process on a server.

Pootle has multiple default levels of privs and the ability to apply
them with fine granularity.

In a typical project, users not even logged in (identified as
user:nobody are enabled to offer "suggestions" on a PO file. Those
suggestions must be reviewed and accepted to make it into the PO file,
they exist in a separate data category until accepted or rejected
(this is distinct from being in the PO file and flagged as "fuzzy").
It is just one of the L10n workflow enhancements available in Pootle,
it allows anonymous contributions or contributions in which the user
is not 100% confident, but would like to offer a string for
consideration by others on the language team.

The next level of privilege (what you currently have by virtue of
registering on the server) allows direct submission of strings and
depending on the project and the decisions of the language admin,
sometimes the ability to review suggestions and accept/reject them.

The level beyond that is language admin, this includes the ability to
add permissions to registered users, over-write existing PO files upon
upload and the ability to commit a PO file to the source code
repository's PO file directory. Please note that the back-end
connections to make direct commit to the repository PO directory are
not established for AbiWord. We can explore that in time, but it
involves additional work to make it seamless and must be handled
carefully and collaboratively between the repo owner and the Pootle
system admins. For now, Pootle is being offered as a collaborative
environment for refining the PO files (including reviewing msgfmt
checks) and final commit to AbiWord would still be handled by sending
the PO file to the AbiWord-dev list.

There is one more level, Pootle system administrator (a role I share
with several colleagues at Sugar Labs), which has the ability to grant
the first language admin privs on a language, after that the lang
admin is empowered to grant additional admin privs to others.

On projects that use direct commit of PO files by language admins,
having a lang-admin is important because a native speaker should
review the file before committing it and the strings do not get into
builds until the PO files are committed to the code repository PO
directory. This is a sharing of responsibility between the developers
and localizers for keeping PO files in the repository current. It
takes the PO file commit burden from the developer and places it with
the language admin. Because language admins are granted these
additional privs and take on additional responsibility, we have a
policy that requests for lang-admin priv be made on the Localization
list to keep it an open and community-driven process, allowing others
to know who the language admins are and allowing other language team
members to weigh in on such decisions. We now host 124
languages/dialects and in many cases, we may have only one or two
active contributors to a language and so having one of them take on
the lang admin role is is an important contribution. We also like to
ask language admins to recruit additional localizers to their
language, if possible.

More information on the language admin role can be found here:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Translation_Team/Administration_QuickStart

I hope this explains more fully our lang admin request process.

Several of your fellow AbiWord localizers have already requested and
been granted lang-admin privs (see below). For those who are working
in languages where we did not have a current lang-admin, we are
particularly grateful. Albanian does not have a current lang-admin,
and so if you were to make a request, it would certainly be granted.

Pjotr granted lang-nl admin
http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/localization/2011-June/002946.html

Denis Arnoud granted lang-br admin
http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/localization/2011-June/002960.html

Miguel Anxo Bouzada granted lang-gl admin
http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/localization/2011-June/002961.html

cjl
volunteer Sugar Labs / OLPC / eToys Pootle admin