Re: [IAEP] The OLPC Australia programme in action

From: Chris Leonard <cjlhomeaddress_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jun 15 2011 - 02:44:08 CEST

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 8:30 PM, Martin Sevior <msevior@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> AbiWord is the foundation of the OLPC Word Processing program "Write".
> As such we've played an important part in the software of the OLPC
> project. There are 1-2 million OLPC XO's distributed around around the
> world. Within Australia approximately 20,000 have been distributed to
> remote communities already with plans to distribute up 400,000.
>
> Here is a nice video showing the XO's in action.
>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO-VNhgZLDw
>
> It's great to see our software being used for such a fantastic application.
>
> Cheers
>
> Martin

Martin,

The contribution of AbiWord to OLPC users is about to grow even more
substantial. The upcoming deployment-oriented 11.2.0 release from
OLPC will be dual-boot in Sugar and GNOME UIs and the full AbiWord
application will be included by default on the GNOME boot. This makes
localization of AbiWord quite important to OLPC and hopefully our
collaboration on Pootle hosting of your PO files will facilitate that
goal.

Warmest Regards,

cjl

Sugar Labs / OLPC / eToys Pootle admin