Re: Nice to meet you and let's work!

From: William Holbrook II <holbrook.wmichael_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Mar 16 2011 - 03:25:26 CET

On 3/15/11 10:05 PM, Fabiano Fidêncio wrote:

> Howdy!
>
> Firstly, I'm Fabiano Fidêncio, a simple brazilian student that want
> mix work and fun!
> I appeared in the #abiword channel a week ago interested in one
> possible GSoC's propose.
> So, I talked, mainly, with Martin Sevior and I got to meet another
> great guys in the channel. :-).

Hello! Nice to meet you Fabiano, I'm William Holbrook; also interested
in GSoC with AbiWord.

> Backing to my GSoC's propose. I'm interested on fix/improve OS X GUI.
> What's my motivation? Simple, I'm a AbiWord user when I'm using Linux
> and, in the last week, using Mac OS, I tried using AbiWord and I could
> note that it's outdated when compared to Linux package. Okay. I got
> the source from SVN, read the docs and wiki to build and ... docs and
> wiki are outdated. With a bit of work I could build the latest SVN on
> Mac and, now, I can use AbiWord here ... but not so much. AbiWord, for
> now, is able to create and save documents, but can't open another any
> document :-(

Interesting; I'm interested in getting a newer version of AbiWord ported
over to OS X, sounds like we may be pursuing the same project (or
extremely close to it).

Here's the project that I'm interested in:
http://abiword.com/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_2011#Get_our_Mac_port_up_to_speed

The current version of Abiword for OS X is 2.4.5, but the current
release for Windows and Linux is 2.8.6 -- quite a difference.

Hopefully we're not pursuing the same project (but it sounds like we
are!). Regardless, I wish you good luck on your application!

--
William Holbrook II
Mathematics Major