Re: [GSoC] Questions about OS X projects

From: Kathiravelu Pradeeban <kk.pradeeban_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu Mar 24 2011 - 19:29:31 CET

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 3:28 AM, Fabiano Fidêncio <fabiano@fidencio.org> wrote:

> Howdy, Guys!

Hi Fidêncio!

> AbiWord is the first and unique organization that awakened interest in
> my person.

Great to hear that.

> So, all time that I can dedicate to hack AbiWord I'll dedicate. But

Impressive!

> I'm a bit worried with the lack of mentors to OS X stuffs and I really

I don't see a valid reason for a quick learner to worry much about the
lack of mentors. I agree, the lack of mentors in OS X. But it was the
case mostly for Windows too. So just start on this, I would say. I
don't see a valid reason to reject an excellent
application, just for the reason of lacking mentor. We will have to
discuss more on this, I agree. But that shouldn't prevent you or
anyone interested in Mac OS X to apply. We have to get back to the
speed on Mac port, and I see GSoC as a good entry point to that. We
all are learning!

> didn't want to looking for others organizations and split the little
> time that I have trying/making not so good hacks.

Exactly!

> So, which is the real priority of OS X stuffs?

It is really one among the top, obviously.

> And what of these projects is more interesting for the community?
>    - Drop cairo and pango from OS X in favor of CoreText to render
> (actually, I'm more interested on this)
>    - Fix OS X problems and re{design/write/factor} the GUI

No need to limit yourself to these two. You can propose or come up with a hybrid
project of these two or a completely new project on Mac (or of course,
on the other
platforms as well).

> Please, any opinions are welcome :-)
>
> Hub, your opinions are very important. I know that you aren't a mentor
> and I know that you are *the* Cocoa Guy ;-)

+1.

> So, do you think possible merge two projects? What you think about the
> difficut/priority of both?
>
> Best Regards,
> --
> Fabiano Fidêncio