Re: GSOC project : "Add a testing framework "

From: Ben Martin <monkeyiq_at_users.sourceforge.net>
Date: Sat Mar 26 2011 - 23:51:54 CET

On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 04:20 +0530, RISHABH SINGHAL wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I’m computer science student from India. I’m considering applying for
> GSoC this year. I have good knowledge of C and C++. Till now I worked
> mostly on my own small projects and I think that GSoC is brilliant
> opportunity to start working on open source project.

An excellent idea... good luck with the application!

> I’m interested in "Add a testing framework " project.
> I want to propose the use of Boost Test as testing framework.
> I would like to know the limitation of current testing framework
> and is there any particular result expected at the end of project.
> Also, is there any documentation or on line information about current
> test suite?
> Any other activity which can help me get a better idea?

I used perl's unit tests to drive some relaxNG based tests recently. The
framework itself is less of a player here and can be switched over to
boost or whatever, in this particular bunch of tests it is the schema
files and start documents which are the bulk of the test...
https://github.com/monkeyiq/odf-2011-track-changes-tests

For generic testing, you might like to also add the ability to see time
and memory regressions. I'm not sure if boost allows this, but it would
be wonderful to be able to see how much time a 200 page document needs
to layout, to edit page 100 adding "foo" to the start, or a series of
edits which might complicate how abiword operates, perhaps performing 20
lots of groups of 200 edits and measuring times after each 200?. Just a
thought, but such metrics could prove useful for future work.