GSoC 2011 : Let me introduce myself

From: Volodymyr Rudyj <vladimir.rudoy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon Mar 28 2011 - 00:33:19 CEST

Good day!

I`m Volodymyr Rudyj, student of Chernihiv State Technological
University, Ukraine. I`d really want to apply GSoC this year and from
the list of the participating organizations one of the most interesting
for me is AbiWord - in my educational projects I often use C/C++ so
participating in development of AbiWord will give me really useful
experience.

In the project ideas list I found project that is the most exciting for
me - it`s creating filters for work with ePub book formats. I often read
books in electronic formats(FB2, ePub) and here is chance for me to work
with one of these formats not from the users point of view but like a
developer.

Currently, there are two versions of EPUB specification available -
2.0.1, that is official and final and 3.0 in state of public draft. I
think that it is possible to implement EPUB 2.0.1 export/import filter
(existing code can be reused, such as XHTML export/import and .odt
support plugin) and then use it to create EPUB 3.0 export/import filter,
so it will be possible to create publications in modern electronic book
file formats directly from AbiWord. What do you think about it ?

Sincerely,
Volodymyr Rudyj