Re: Versions and releases

From: Martin Sevior <msevior_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Oct 26 2011 - 12:00:46 CEST

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 8:55 PM, J.M. Maurer <uwog@uwog.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-10-25 at 23:13 -0700, Hub Figuière wrote:
>> On 11-10-25 1:15 AM, Ingo Brückl wrote:
>> > I appreciate your work on porting AbiWord to GTK 3.0, but I don't think that
>> > it is a good idea to cut support for GTK 2.x. I mean, it runs fine with GTK
>> > 2.x. There probably isn't much we'd really*need*  from GTK 3.0, it probably
>> > is more about that GTK 3.0*differs*  in some aspects.
>>
>> Gtk3 is parallel installable with Gtk2. What's the problem with going
>> forward?
>
> It could be a problem for GTK2-only distributions. On the other hand,
> GTK3 is not *that* new, and by the time AbiWord 3.0 comes out, it will
> be even older.
>
> I'm inclined to go for it, but maybe I'm underestimating the problems
> people might have getting their hands on a GTK3 distro.

I'm also inclined to go for it. The potential problem might be for
distros like puppyLinux with a focus on small size.

There are additional major benefist for abiword, apart from ensuring
we don't suffer bitrot.

GTK3 has an experimental HTML5 backend which should enable abiword to
run in a browser. With this users don't need to download abiword to
use it and our small size and GPL licensing would mean that anyone who
wanted to could use abiword to compete with google docs - albeit not
as nicely as we do with abicollab.net

There are tons of applications that could use abiword as a rich text
editor in a browser. eg Wiki :-)

Cheers!

Martin