Re: More Widespread Adoption of Enchant

From: Kevin Atkinson <kevina_at_gnu.org>
Date: Wed Sep 14 2011 - 03:25:51 CEST

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011, Fabiano Fidêncio wrote:

>>> You may also decide to do something useful and contribute to hunspell
>>> instead.
>>
>> I can go into why I think this is infeasible, and how Aspell is better in
>> some cases, but something tells me you are not going to listen.
>
> Urmas' opinion doesn't represent Enchant (as developers) opinion.
> Could you explain your points?

The main reason Aspell is better for the English language is the
suggestion quality. See http://aspell.net/test/cur/ or try it out
yourself at http://suggest.aspell.net/.

Aspell and Hunspell are also built on different assumptions. Aspell main
goal has always been to give the best possible suggestions and then
support many different languages as possible, Hunspell has been to support
as many languages as possible, and then try to give reasonable suggestions
on those languages. These assumptions drive a lot of the internals of how
they work. For example, for Hunspell to use Aspell advanced suggestion
strategy it will need to use a completely different dictionary format.

Thus, I think it is best that Aspell and Hunspell remain separate so each
can focus on what they are best at.