Re: More Widespread Adoption of Enchant ...

From: Kevin Atkinson <kevina_at_gnu.org>
Date: Wed Sep 14 2011 - 03:29:14 CEST

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011, Martin Sevior wrote:

> With regard to your request for a separate mailing list for enchant.
> This summer abiword GSoC student, Chen Xiajian, worked extensively to
> expand the Enchant functionality to allow it to be used for
> hyphernation.

Is that code committed? I don't see it in SVN (at least on the trunk).

> This was performed in direct consultation with the abiword community.
> At this point I would not like to have enchant discussion removed from
> the abiword-dev mailing list.

OK, eventually I am going to move the abiword-dev to a folder. Can we
agree to at least have the word Enchant in the subject if it relates to
Enchant to I can have those messages go to my inbox.

> With regard to enchant being used as a distro wide solution for linux
> distributions, I believe that this was always it's grand goal. It is
> used by both GNOME and KDE already. What do you see as being needed
> for adoption by firefox and/or google chrome?

As I see it, two things

   1) Write the code

   2) Convince the projects to use Enchant rather than Hunspell directly.

The code part should not be that difficult. If it has to be a plugin than
it will likely be more work. I think that harder part is (2). Both
Firefox and Google chrome use they own internal Hunspell version, and they
will likely see Enchant as getting in the way.