Re: More Widespread Adoption of Enchant ...

From: Dominic Lachowicz <domlachowicz_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Sep 14 2011 - 04:18:55 CEST

Hi Kevin,

All those years ago when I started Enchant, it wasn't clear which
spell-checking solution would "win", and this was a major motivation
for me to create Enchant. The major competing solutions at the time
failed in one or more of the following respects:

* Inadequately maintained, or else heavily forked
* Inadequate quality of suggestions
* Inadequate language coverage
* Clumsy (or no) programmatic interface
* Not a shared library (eg. Myspell at the time was a proper part of
the OpenOffice code base)
* Poor (or no) support for Windows
* No support for personal word lists

By providing a common interface, Enchant could work around many of
these limitations and in doing so, provide a passable spell-checking
solution for AbiWord and the greater GNOME community.

Some years later, I think that a clear winner has emerged that
addresses all of my above concerns. And while it wasn't the horse I
would have picked, I must be pragmatic. Hunspell is by no means
perfect, but the perfect is, after all, the enemy of the "good
enough".

While I can see some clear benefits to both Aspell and Enchant in your
proposal below, it's clear to me that neither you nor I will have
enough time or willpower to see that to fruition, and in any case, I
feel it would only prolong the deaths of our respective projects.

In any event, I wish you well and wish you luck, and thank you for the
time and effort you've spent on Aspell. It's a very nice piece of
software that has saved many a term paper for me :)

Best,
Dom

--
"I like to pay taxes. With them, I buy civilization." --  Oliver Wendell Holmes