Re: More Widespread Adoption of Enchant ...

From: Kevin Atkinson <kevina_at_gnu.org>
Date: Wed Sep 14 2011 - 07:24:52 CEST

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011, Dominic Lachowicz wrote:

> Some years later, I think that a clear winner has emerged that
> addresses all of my above concerns. And while it wasn't the horse I
> would have picked, I must be pragmatic. Hunspell is by no means
> perfect, but the perfect is, after all, the enemy of the "good
> enough".
>
> While I can see some clear benefits to both Aspell and Enchant in your
> proposal below, it's clear to me that neither you nor I will have
> enough time or willpower to see that to fruition, and in any case, I
> feel it would only prolong the deaths of our respective projects.

I am truly discouraged to hear you say that. Do you truly believe that
that everyone using Enchant should switch to Hunspell? What about
languages that Hunspell doesn't support well yet (for example, Finish)?
Do you think it just a matter of time before Hunspell does. What about
languages such as Thai, which doesn't even have spaces in words. I am no
expert but I believe a more intelligent solution is needed than simple hash
table lookups; for example, if a word is misspelled how do you find the
misspelling? What about Chinese and Japanese, I don't even know what is
involved in spell checking those languages, a dedicated spell checker will
likely be needed.

I'm not sure what the future of Aspell is, but I do not consider Enchant
to be dead, far from it, I consider it to be the future.

But if you (and anyone else on this list) just no longer care about
Enchant, than there is not a whole lot I can do. I can not push it
myself.