Re: Ensuring Translation Quality

From: F Wolff <friedel_at_translate.org.za>
Date: Thu Sep 22 2011 - 17:47:52 CEST

Op Do, 2011-09-22 om 18:52 +0700 skryf Urmas:
> To improve the translation quality I propose:
>
> 1) Remove .strings files for languages with translation less then 90%
> complete. We should preserve po-files in case somebody will want to
> improve them, obviously.

Hi

I'm strongly against this idea. When several of us translated Abiword as
part of ANLoc, we actively worked on reducing the number of strings to
the most visible so that we create a reasonably good coverage of the UI
without needing a very long time to do it.

I use incompletely translated software everyday of my life, and it is
still great to have most of it in my language. Some strings might just
be incomplete because a volunteer didn't manage to give it attention for
a while, or because the English is unclear and it is better to leave it
out until confirmed.

Please leave incomplete translations. We won't remove ODF support if
there is a small gap in the implementation, right?

Friedel

--
Recently on my blog:
http://translate.org.za/blogs/friedel/en/content/virtaal-070-released