Re: Ensuring Translation Quality

From: Kathiravelu Pradeeban <kk.pradeeban_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu Sep 22 2011 - 20:28:15 CEST

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 5:22 PM, Urmas <davian818@gmail.com> wrote:
> To improve the translation quality I propose:
>
> 1) Remove .strings files for languages with translation less then 90% complete. We should preserve po-files in case somebody will want to improve them, obviously.

That doesn't make any sense to do so. Many words are not translated
yet to the local languages. So we need time. That doesn't mean we
don't use AbiWord in local languages, such as ta-IN.

> 2) Remove Esperanto [eo] translation entirely due to its low quality, and considering the fact that Esperanto is toy, artificial language, and quality translation can not be assured without contributors' voluntarism.

No language is God-made. All the languages came from humans. So did
Esperanto. Calling Esperanto a toy language is an offense. I
personally know the enthusiasm shown by the localizers of Esperanto.
The localization of Esperanto is of very high quality and almost
complete too.

> 3) Remove Belarus (latin) translation entirely, as it is automatic and unofficial transliteration of standard Belarus spelling.

In summary, I am *big* -1 to the *entire* proposal.

Thank you.
Regards,
Pradeeban.

--